Applications for admission to the Sociology PhD program in Fall 2022 are now closed (the application deadline was December 15th, 2021). Decisions regarding this admissions application cycle were issued in February 2022.
The department will begin accepting applications for matriculation in Fall 2023 sometime in September 2022, with the application deadline set for December 15th, 2022. A notice that the online application system is available, and a link to the application, will be posted on this page as soon as they are available in September 2022.
Detailed information on Application
All application materials are submitted through the online application portal, and must be received by the December 15th deadline. Any materials submitted after the deadline may not be reviewed by the admissions committee.
Required Application Materials:
- Application Fee (application fees are paid online via credit card only)
- Statement of Purpose
- Copies of transcripts from all post-secondary institutions are required.
- The exception is if the class, and its grade, appear on another school’s transcript that is already being uploaded to your application.
- This includes partial post-secondary education, where a degree was not completed.
- Please do not send official transcripts to the Sociology Department, a copy of your transcript is sufficient for the application process.
- Two (2) Letters of Recommendation
- Applicants may submit a maximum of three (3) letters of recommendation.
- Applicants will enter contact information for recommenders, recommenders will be sent a link that is used to upload their letter of recommendation.
- If you intend to use Interfolio to submit letters of recommendation, please check with Interfolio as to how this process is managed (our department cannot assist with this).
- Letters must be received by December 15th deadline.
- One (1) Writing Sample
- Social scientific papers are preferred, but not required.
- Should be a maximum of 30 pages in length, including appendices.
- Applicant must be the sole-author of the writing sample.
- Official Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores are required off all applicants. You may submit GRE scores using our ETS institution code,1565.
- Note: Due to the conditions created by the COVID pandemic, GRE scores were not required, but made optional, in the application for admission in Fall 2022 only.
- This exception only applied to the Sociology PhD Program, applicants to the JD/PhD Program (institution code 2579) or Management Organizations Sociology Program (institution code 1565) were still required to submit GRE test scores.
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) scores are required for all applicants who are not native English speakers (exception noted below). Minimum score is 100 on the internet-based test (iBT). Official scores must be taken no more than two (2) years before the intended quarter of entry and must come directly from the Educational Testing Service (ETS). While TOEFL is the preferred test, we do accept IELTS scores and require a minimum overall score of 7.0. Official IELTS scores must be no more than two (2) years before the intended quarter of entry and must come from IELTS directly.
- We strongly recommend that you include a copy of your unofficial score report with your online application. Applications are not marked complete until an official score has arrived from ETS/IELTS to the Graduate School. All material must be received by the December 15th deadline to avoid delays with your application.
- The Graduate School (TGS) will waive this English language testing requirement for applicants who have earned an undergraduate or graduate degree from an accredited institution where English is the language of instruction. These applicants do not need to submit TOEFL scores in their application.
Optional Application Materials
- Diversity Statement (for U.S. Citizens only)
- Cluster Statement
- Upload statement under Cluster Statement.
- Quantitative Fellowship Statement*
- Upload as Supplemental Document 1.
- Must include "Quantitative Fellowship Statement" at the top of the page.
- Data Science Fellowship Statement*
- Upload as Supplemental Document 2.
- Must include "Data Science Fellowship Statement" at the top of the page.