Skip to main content

Transfer Credit for a Non-Northwestern Course: Other U.S. Institution

If a student takes a course at another U.S. institution (e.g., a community college or another university) while enrolled at Northwestern, they may petition the Sociology Department to count this course for Northwestern credit. In order to do so, students must:

  1. Complete the electronic Petition for Credit for a Non-Northwestern Course, preferably before the class begins in order to ensure the course can be counted for Northwestern credit.
  2. Include a syllabus for review that details assignments, reading lists, and/or assessments when submitting the form. This will allow us to evaluate the course content as it compares to similar classes offered in the Northwestern Department of Sociology.
  3. To expedite the processing of your form, please attach a supplemental document with answers to the following questions:
    1. How long is each class meeting?
    2. How many times does class meet per week?
    3. How many weeks does class meet?
    4. How many hours overall will be you in lecture or discussion — or the equivalent of lecture or discussion?
    5. What are the graded assignments, and how much does each type of assignment count toward your overall grade?

Effective September 19, 2017, the department has decided to no longer accept for transfer credit for online courses except under extenuating circumstances (e.g., health or financial issues). If you believe you have an extenuating circumstance, please contact the Director of Undergraduate Studies directly for further guidance.

Please note: this process does not apply to transfer credits taken before enrolling in Northwestern or study abroad credit, which have separate processes and forms.